This article is over 1 year old
The Serbian government has ruled that Novak Djokovic should be vaccinated when he returns to Australia in January for the Australian Open, amid fears that he could pick up the potentially deadly hepatitis C virus.
Australian Open: Khachanov stuns Murray to reach fourth round – as it happened Read more
The 31-year-old, who withdrew from the Australian Open during the lead-up last year, has been carrying out intensive rehabilitation after his recent elbow surgery.
The Serbian sports minister, Bajram Dalic, said on Friday that he would recommend Djokovic return to Australia without the help of a vitamin supplement supplement.
“I have ordered a vaccine for him and the other players … and I will meet with the best doctors from Serbia and Australia,” Dalic said.
“We must listen to the specialists before deciding on how to accept him.”
Djokovic was originally slated to begin his comeback at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati next week, but the tournament’s director, Steve Hammel, said on Thursday that the tournament’s board had “raised significant concerns” about Djokovic’s health.
An error was made in the headline of an earlier version of this article. It has been corrected.